[AMRadio] EF Johnson museum

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Fri Jun 20 17:50:56 EDT 2008

Pete,

I agree!  However, WE do NOT know whose hands WHAT passed through and WHEN.

This is an unfortunate path that "small" museums deal with.  They may
well NOT have gotten what was "originally" on display at the factory.

Unless someone decides to dig deeper or the current museum folks are
willing or even able to fill in the blanks!

Personally, I'd LOVE to see the Smithsonian pick up the banner!  They
manage to pull off things in a VERY spectacular fashion.  You'd "think"
it would interest them, BUT, alas it doesn't seem to be.  I've been
there enough times to tell you that I have NEVER seen Amateur Radio in
ANY display there.  I've lived withing 30 miles of there since 1984.
I've also lived within that radius on two "other" periods of my life and
did NOT see it then either.

One can only hope!

Bob - N0DGN

Peter Markavage wrote:
> That's probably true but, from an earlier e-mail, it sounded like this
> museum originated at the Johnson factory and then was later moved to its
> present location. One would have thought they would have retained at
> least one production model or a preproduction model.
>
> Pete
>
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 14:00:17 -0400 rbethman <rbethman at comcast.net>
> writes:
>
>> Finding ANY museum of decent content and quality regarding ANY
>> Amateur
>> manufacturer, or a "specific" owner of such a company is remarkable
>> in
>> and of itself.
>>
>> To go picking on NOT seeing two or three "particular" offerings from
>> the
>> past is NOT surprising!
>>
>> Pete - Try doing this by YOURSELF.  Create a museum, let's say for
>> Hammarlund, let's see what ALL you can manage to locate, get
>> restored,
>> OR find in museum quality condition.
>>
>> Any museum has great difficulty getting the display items, much less
>>
>> sifting through JUNK that is unsuitable for display.
>>
>> Bob - N0DGN

>> --
>> Bob - NØDGN

Bob - NØDGN