[AMRadio] EF Johnson museum

Ed Berbari eberbari at indy.rr.com
Fri Jun 20 18:51:57 EDT 2008

All,

I am almost positive there is a ham station at the museum of American
History.  I have never seen it operational but it is there for sure.  They
have a club call as well  NN3SI.

Ed, W9EJB

Here is their blurb from QRZ:

NN3SI has been on the air from the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum
of American History, formerly the National Museum of History and Technology,
for 30 years. For most of the three-million visitors to the Museum annually,
it is the first -- and possibly only -- Amateur Radio Station that they have
ever seen. The volunteer amateur operators of NN3SI are quick to point out
to them the value of Amateur Radio as a national resource for emergency
communications, trained operators, technicians and engineers as well as an
outstanding hobby.
NN3SI was originally located in an exhibition called A Nation of Nations
that helped celebrate the 1976 Bi-Centennial of our Country. The Federal
Communications Commission co-operated with the Smithsonian by issuing call
sign NN3SI, an unusual one for that time. The station has since been
situated in several different exhibitions. It currently resides in the
former Information Age awaiting relocation to a new exhibition.

The Amateur Radio control operators that keep the station on the air are
volunteers from the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. They are on
hand from 10am to 3pm most days. The station is near the Washington
Monument, the White House and FCC Headquarters. The station antennas are on
top of the 6-story Museum building, about 80 feet above the National Mall.
They consist of a log periodic rotatable beam, two HF verticals, a 40-meter
and an 80-meter dipole. The VHF antenna is a 2-meter vertical.

The amount of space allotted to the station at its present temporary
location is a bit crowded by its two HF transceivers, a multi-mode 2-meter
transceiver, a dual band 2-meter/70-centimeter FM transceiver plus a
personal computer and a display of several pieces of vintage equipment. The
HF equipment consists of a Ten Tec Omni IV and a Kenwood TS-450. The
multi-mode transceiver is a Kenwood TS-711 and the dual band FM transceiver
is a Kenwood TS-733A.

Any licensed amateur operator may be a guest control operator of NN3SI. A
copy of your license, a photo I.D., and an appointment are required. To
schedule an appointment or to find out more about becoming a regular
volunteer control operator, please call