[AMRadio] Which radio might be best on AM?

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Sat Mar 1 12:30:18 EST 2008

> Since I trade radios a lot and since the Belton Hamfest is coming soon I
> am
> looking at several transceivers to trade for.  I am also keeping my
> TS-B2000
> that I use now for everything.
> The current choices are;
> A Drake TR-7    This says it simulates AM with a carrier and only the
> upper
> side band.  That might not sound good
> A Kenwood Ts-940SAT
> A Kenwood TS-930S.

I would not consider transmitting with any radio that "simulates AM with a
carrier and only one side band".  That is not AM.  It's just SSB with poor
carrier suppression, or you might say, transmits a pilot carrier for a PLL
BFO to lock onto.  It doesn't sound good because of  fundamental principles
of  the modulation and demodulation process.

The TR-7 does a fair job on receive if equipped with an AM filter.  The AM
transmit function, with the audio section turned to zero or disabled
entirely, would make a good stable vfo/exciter unit to drive a
plate-modulated or grid-modulated AM transmitter or final.

Don k4kyv