[AMRadio] ADMIN NOTICE, PLEASE READ

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 00:26:25 EST 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 5:31 PM,  <sbjohnston at aol.com> wrote:

>  Is the main purpose of the AMRadio mailing list to respond to
>  individuals, or is it to discuss things as a group?  If it is for
>  *discussion*, then having the default choice as reply to the mailing
>  list.  Having it set to default replies only to the sender greatly
>  reduces participation in discussions.

I disagree completely, Steve. I belong to a number of other lists and
reflectors where the reply function goes directly to the sender only
and reply all goes to all parties. These lists, for the most part, are
quite active regardless. It does keep the private replies from being
seen by all, and no doubt some folks do indeed choose to respond
privately. I don't begrudge them that, it's their choice to decide.

In this situation, all replies are being forced to the list,
regardless. A sender must intervene and manually change addresses and
so on to prevent this. If you hit 'reply', it goes to the entire list.
If you hit 'reply all', it still goes to the entire list plus any
individuals listed. So potentially, folks get the same message twice.

I've voiced my opinion on this before as now, not because I have a
strong preference, but because as Gary has said - Brian puts a lot
into this list and has for a decade now, providing us all with a great
email reflector and opportunities limited only by our imaginations.
I've gotten a lot of help and suggestions here over the years, good
deals from Don and others, and best of all - the association of an
overall great group of people.

True - not 'all' lists function with 'reply' going to the individual.
But *most* do, hence the addition of 'reply all' as an option to
include others. The reality of it all (IMO) is that, unless you close
the list to new members and train everyone else to go against what
they do on most other lists, the problem will continue. Despite the
fact that most of us know and do better.

The one list where I've seen more replies going private has been the
CCA list. When posting questions there, I've consistently gotten more
replies in private than go to the list. When I asked some of the
senders (including former Collins workers) why they didn't post to the
list, they commented on remarks made by arnchair expert types, over
moderation, and so on. That is certainly NOT the case on this list by
any means.

Really, I don't have a strong opinion either way beyond not wanting to
see Brian, Jim, and others beat their heads against the wall every
time this comes up. That's what matters in my book.

Good, bad, or otherwise: If we force all replies to the group, that is
exactly what we will continue to get.

And Brian, I have to say this: you - a commie? BAHAHA!! Now THAT is funny!!

~ Todd, KA1KAQ