[AMRadio] ARRL To Retire QST View

Joseph Bento n6dgy at kirtland.com
Sun Mar 2 19:40:05 EST 2008

I noticed this on the ARRL Website today while ordering some books:

RELEASE NOTE: ARRL is retiring QST View. The software is outdated and
is increasingly incompatible with some computer configurations. We
want to assure our valued members and customers that our consideration
of alternatives is ongoing. We will continue to offer the more popular
annually-produced ARRL Periodicals on CD-ROM. These single-year CDs
are available for 1995 through present.

I'm glad I decided to purchase the complete QST CDROM set a couple
years ago.  At this time, there are very few sets available.  I'm also
very pleased to have found a 3rd party viewer for Mac OS-X that W7AY
generously created.

Since PDF is the de-facto standard for all platforms for document
distribution, I hope that the ARRL will reconsider releasing the QST
archives in this format.  Since 2000, they have released an annual CD
with all the ARRL periodicals on CDROM in PDF.  The quality of these
newer discs is excellent, while the older QST View discs, while
certainly readable, do leave a lot to be desired in the graphics
department.

I urge everyone interested to write the ARRL to ensure that these
historical references remain available.

73,
Joe, N6DGY