[AMRadio] ARRL To Retire QST View

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 09:46:42 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Joseph Bento <n6dgy at kirtland.com> wrote:

>  Since PDF is the de-facto standard for all platforms for document
>  distribution, I hope that the ARRL will reconsider releasing the QST
>  archives in this format.  Since 2000, they have released an annual CD
>  with all the ARRL periodicals on CDROM in PDF.  The quality of these
>  newer discs is excellent, while the older QST View discs, while
>  certainly readable, do leave a lot to be desired in the graphics
>  department.
>
>  I urge everyone interested to write the ARRL to ensure that these
>  historical references remain available.

Joe and group -

This was announced a while back and stirred up folks in the AM/Classic
Gear groups. Mike W1RC had some initial exchanges with ARRL folks I
believe but passed it along to someone else as he was pretty busy with
other matters.

Looking at the situation and the League's view of such things, I
wouldn't hold my breath on a solution. Keep in mind that the audience
would be small vs the likely cost, and the audience would consist of
mainly of old gear and history buffs. The ARRL has never been terribly
excited about such things, preferring instead to push new technology
that favors its advertisers. Providing a resource that helps folks
research and, as a result, perhaps purchase or even build old style
tube gear doesn't strike me as something they'd be likely to do.

Aside from gear and HB articles, there remains a lot of historical
information along with other interesting stories and events in the
pages of QST. Fortunately all the oldest magazines are still readily
available and make for a good, relaxing read. Searching isn't terribly
hard if you use the yearly index in the December issue, but time
consuming if you have no idea of the year an article was published.
Perhaps the real solution will be that someone creates a CD of the
yearly index issues to permit fast and easy searches for articles in
the magazines.

Again - this is an opinion only, based on rumblings I've heard along
with the League's record on such matters.

~ Todd, KA1KAQ