[AMRadio] need advise

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 10:17:16 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 8:24 PM, AB5MM <ab5mm at 9plus.net> wrote:

>  I really need some advise.  After the initial  "sticker shock" wore off,
>  I may have found a Viking II with 122 vfo. <snip>  What is a
>  reasonable price range for something like this?

Hey Steve -

I'll add my 'welcome back' to the current chorus. It is indeed a very
interesting, knowledgeable, and just plain FUN group.

Pricing info you've gotten so far is spot on, especially for condition
stated. Viking IIs are still available in good numbers, anywhere from
$100-$300 in good shape with VFO (sold a like-new set a few years back
for $100 w/VFO & manuals). I tend to be more willing to pay a higher
price for a cosmetically-clean unit even if it needs work, since
re-painting anything more than an engraved panel or plain cabinet is
beyond my time and skill level. And if I gotta look at it for long
periods of time, it needs to be somewhat appealing.

Don't let online sticker shock sway you: it's only worth to you what
you're willing to pay. The AM community seems to take care of its own
quite well, offering reasonable and fair deals to those we know won't
simply try to flip the item for a profit on ebay.

I find it a whole lot more difficult to put a value on the enjoyment
gained from a piece of gear, than the gear itself.

Good luck -

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ