[AMRadio] Drake L-4B on AM

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 10:34:41 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 10:15 AM, A.R.S. - WA5AM <ars.w5ami at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The 8877 is a 1500 watt tube, and the plates
>  are tough with forced air cooling, but they are also real expensive.
>  It runs much hotter on AM with very little drive, than it does on SSB
>  with drive levels up to 65 watts.  Bottom line is that I think tube
>  life is greatly reduced when running a linear amp on AM, but that's
>  just my opinion.

I think you're right on the money, Brian. Add to that the finicky grid
tuning of the 8877 and bad batches sold in the late 80s, and to me at
least, it's an expensive failure waiting to happen. The main reason
for selling the Alpha 77 last year. Not sure about the 3-400/500Z
tubes used in the Drakes.

It'll work and get you by Bob, but I'd definitely shoot for building
or finding a big rig for AM.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ