[AMRadio] Drake L-4B on AM

A.R.S. - WA5AM ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 10:42:59 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 9:37 AM, kenw2dtc <kenw2dtc at comcast.net> wrote:
> "BTW, I tuned the amp for exactly 1500 watts output, then reduced the drive
>  to exactly 25 watts without re-tuning the amplifier"
>
>  Actually the best way is to tune for 1500 watts out and reduce the drive
>  until the output is 375 watts under carrier conditions.  Also if you have
>  one of those male voices that that will peak more in one direction than the
>  other (if the audio is phased correctly) you must also de-rate the output
>  power even more.  Naturally, a scope and an audio generator is the preferred
>  way to tune up a linear under AM conditions.
>   73,
>  Ken W2DTC

You're right Ken.  I think I used 25 watts as a good figure, however
544 watts of carrier should modulate to over 2100 watts with a pure
sine wave.  I may try it again later and reduce the drive level to the
point where the carrier output reaches 375 to see the difference.  I
suspect if anything the eff. will drop even more...

Thanks.

Brian / wa5am