[AMRadio] Drake L-4B on AM

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 15:06:16 EST 2008

With an amp properly tuned for AM operation the carrier efficiency should be
(theoretically) exactly 1/2 of what it is at PEP or full carrier out. Also
drive power should be right around 25% of what it takes for full carrier.

An amp that puts out 1500 watts with 100 watts of drive should put out
around 375 watts with 25 watts of drive, assuming the amp is linear. Not all
amplifiers are perfectly linear so this can vary one way or the other a
little. This particular amp would have a gain of 15. The gain of 15 figure
should hold close no matter how much drive is applied. The output should
always be 15 times the drive power if the amp remains linear.

The efficiency will vary with drive power. All these parameters are assuming
that once the amp is tuned up for maximum output that the tuning is not
touched as drive power is varied.

If the efficiency of this same amp is 60% at full power out (1500 watts)
then the efficiency at 375 watts out should be right close to 30%.
As modulation is applied the efficiency of the peak envelope power will be
60%.

73
Gary  K4FMX