[AMRadio] Why do some people capitalise "ham"?

JACK C. SHUTT w9gt at verizon.net
Fri Mar 7 14:37:50 EST 2008

I can sure think of more important things to be concerned about!!!!  Why is it that so many people seem to want to tear down history and traditions?  The term "ham" may not have been originally established in a complimentary way or to positively identify us, but it grew into a foundly used term that everyone recognized.  If you don't care for the nickname or slang of "HAM" for amateur radio, then just don't use it.  I for one, am proud of the tradition.  I have been licensed for nearly 49 years and I always thought of the term as prestigious, not something to be looked down upon or made fun of by thse who apparently don't know what it is all about anyway.  Some will refer to us as CBers and don't know the difference, or even care for that matter.  If the general public views the term as something negative or nerdly or whatever, then maybe we have a PR problem, but we probably have much greater concerns to direct our attention toward.  I, for one, would sure like to see more
 positive promotion of our hobby and of our history instead of all this negative tearing down of what many of us hold dear.  What does this have to do with AM radio anyway?

  73,  Jack, W9GT