[AMRadio] Collins R390/URR versus R390A

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:00:15 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 2:17 PM,  <ne1s at neandertech.com> wrote:

>  Well, Todd, I've been guilty of referring to my R390/URR as a "non-A"
>  model, and the reason I've done so is because so many folks just say
>  "R390" when they are really referring to the more common R390-A. Just
>  trying to be specific and unambiguous, because, as you know, there are
>  several significant differences between them.

Yea yea, I remember folks saying they did so to aid the newbs in
knowing the difference. We'll learn 'em right!

If we applied the same logic to other Collins (or Hallicrafters) rigs
that look similar or are based on an earlier model, we'd have 75S-3
non-A non-Bs (75S-3C), Hallicrafters SX-28 non-As. S-36 non-As, etc.
How about Yaesu FT-101 Non-E, Non-EE?  Then there's the BC-348s and
other military gear, but I can't type that much.

How about calling a Ford Mustang base model a Non-GT?

I just figure it's easier to call it what it is, ask what they mean,
and give accurate information to someone who is new or otherwise
inexperienced rather than misinformation. Of course, I'm prepared to
eat my words the day someone shows me an authentic nomenclature tag
that says R-390 Non-A/URR with supporting documentation. (o:

Not to mention that the A model is based on and came after the R-390.
Generally speaking, folks who know the rigs tend to call them all
R-390s, while folks who don't seem to call them R-390s and 'non-A's.
Even some folks who know the radios have adopted the 'what it's not'
approach. Weird!

I blame phonics and ebonics, because I can. And the elimination of the
CW requirement.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ  :D