[AMRadio] KFI Tower Falls...again!

WA5AM Radio ars.w5ami at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:06:25 EST 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Dino Darling <dino at k6rix.com> wrote:

> It saddens me to report that a single point failure cause the new KFI
> tower to fall this afternoon around 2:00PM.

Really hate to hear that Dino.  Any tower that goes down like that
really gets to me lately.

About 2 or 3 months ago our Channel 7 TV tower in Redfield, AR
collapsed nearly straight down.  I remember when it was completed in
1965.  At that time, it was the second tallest man made structure in
the world at around 2000 feet from ground up.

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0108/487277.html

They were replacing guy lines, and some other maintenance when part of
the crew let too much slack in one of the guys.  It began to bow out
somewhere near the 200 foot level due to that, and the stress of tons
of weight overhead took her down after 43 years.

73 Brian
wa5am

--
"Money is only temporary, radios are forever" - Jim Little aka "the
old dawg"/K5BAI