[AMRadio] RE: Heathkit SB-200

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Sun Mar 23 15:50:56 EST 2008

			>Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:53:18 -0700

>steveve2swc
>Hi ALL:
>Looking for a Heathkit SB200, anyone got one for sale? Hopefully in  the not
>too distant reaches beyond Montreal or NY/Maine/Vermont?
>Steve VE2SWC

Reply by Jim, WD5JKO:

   Steve, Good luck with your SB200 search.  If your application is AM, then an SB-200 with a little de-rating  to keep the power supply happy will be no more powerful than a DX-100, Viking I or II, B&W 5100, Apache, etc.

   I recall talking to Chuck, WA0ZHH, and he had designed an external cathode modulator for the SB-200. I don't recall the details, but what I do recall is that the SB-200 needed very little modification, and the efficiency is much higher than a linear amplifier. Maybe this raises the % efficiency from 30-35% to ~ 50% or so depending on the ratio of grid to cathode modulation.

   I haven't heard Chuck on the air lately, and I thought someone said he had a stroke. Any news from Chuck?

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO