[AMRadio] Re: Valiant/Valiant II Prices

Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Fri May 2 17:37:38 EDT 2008

Joe,

My "lurker" opinion is that both should be worth circa $400, presuming
that both are in as-built condition with a full set of good tubes, no
modifications and very good paint.  If modified, each mod must be
value-judged individually (i.e. the 18K 5W external-to-the-VFO resistor
mod would be OK in my book, but something like a mod transformer
replacement with an unknown tranny or a re-cap job that looks like it
was done by a drunken samurai would negatively affect value).

There is no significant operational difference between the two Valiants
other than the II has built-in wiring/connectors for the SSB adapter.

Just my humble opinion.  I paid $400 for a box-stock Johnson-built
Valiant with excellent paint a few years ago and am to this day very
happy with it.

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ