[AMRadio] Another Bandwidth Petition DENIED by FCC

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed May 7 16:27:19 EDT 2008

"The present rules allow amateur stations to transmit PSK data emissions
subject to the conditions that the station transmission shall occupy no more
bandwidth than necessary for the information rate and emission type being
transmitted, and that emissions resulting from modulation must be confined
to the band or segment available to the control operator. We believe that
these rules provide amateur service licensees the flexibility to develop new
technologies within the spectrum authorized for the various classes of
licensees, while protecting other users of the spectrum from harmful
interference. We also believe that imposing a maximum bandwidth limitation
on data emissions would result in a loss of flexibility to develop and
improve technologies as licensees' operating interests change, new
technologies are incorporated, and frequency bands are reallocated.
Additionally, we believe that amending the amateur service rules to limit
the ability of amateur stations to experiment with various communications
technologies or otherwise impeding their ability to advance the radio art
would be inconsistent with the definition and purpose of the amateur
service. Moreover, we do not believe that changing the rules to prohibit a
communications technology currently in use is in the public interest."

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-08-1082A1.pdf

Touché!

This is hereby documented as overtly stated FCC policy.  Points to be kept
in mind the next time there is a petition or proposal to impose specific
bandwidth limits, define emission types by bandwidth, or to outlaw AM or any
other mode currently in use.

Does the League still plan to "revisit" the bandwidth issue any time in the
foreseeable future?

Don k4kyv