D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Wed May 7 18:39:52 EDT 2008

> From: Mack Rogers <n4vgb at yahoo.com>

> This petition was aimed directly at the heart of
> WinLink.
>
> A data service that is exclusive to those who purchase
> equipment from the provider and meant solely to open
> amateur frequencies to use by non-licensed persons and
> entities, transmitting non-amateur related data.

That is true.  But I am afraid that if that petition hadn't been denied by
the FCC it would have been a foot in the door for  regulation-by-bandwidth,
and would have set a dangerous precedent that could have ultimately resulted
in specific bandwidth limits for other modes as well.

> WinLink users have been instructed to turn off the
> feature that checks for a busy frequency before
> transmitting, a completely illegal action per FCC
> rules.

Who  has "instructed" them to do that, and under what authority?

If they are already able to violate  the existing rules with impunity, would
additional bandwidth limitations be taken any more seriously?  It looks to
me like there are already  rules in place to deal with this problem.  The
FCC just needs to enforce them.

> WinLink apparently has been successful in swaying the
> thoughts of U.S. Government officials to their side of
> the issue using the constant chant of "emergency
> communications", while one of them is most famous for
> selling the equipment to California yacht owners.
>
> Will you be so happy when/if WinLink decides that
> 1885kc is most effective for their use?

If the FCC is already determined to let those bootleggers use our bands
regardles, they could not have been expected to have ruled against
themselves in any case.  At least now there is language on the record
directly from the Commission that argues against specific bandwidth limits,
which could be applied to any mode, and in opposition to the elimination of
any mode now in use, including AM.  I would prefer to see the Winlink battle
fought using a weapon other than bandwidth limitation.