[AMRadio] Dummy Load

Rick Brashear rickb at tx.rr.com
Thu May 15 14:34:50 EDT 2008

I know this has been beaten to death many times, but for the sake of an old
man with a bad memory could we discuss the most economical (very important)
way to provide a dummy load for testing a broadcast transmitter.  I have a
few Cantennas, but they get hot real quick at 1000 watts and I'd like
something I could be a little more confident in.  If I were to use the
proper number of series/parallel non-inductive resistors at say 100 watts
each, what kind of support system would be best to insure at least a one
minute key down time?  Would immersing them in oil or attaching them to heat
dissipating metal with a blower be the better choice?

Thanks for any and all advice you may offer..

Rick/K5IAR