[AMRadio] Dummy Load

Rick Brashear rickb at tx.rr.com
Thu May 15 21:45:48 EDT 2008

Hi Joe,

I made that same mistake some time ago thinking I was getting something that
would be useful, but wasn't.  No doubt the 1KW carrier is way out of range
for our use, but I like to tune the old boxes up to full capacity to be sure
nothing is going to break or come untied.  Sometimes it's almost imperative
to tune them up on the high side then cut the power back to 375 watts or so.

Thanks,
Rick/K5IAR

I made a mistake about 35 years ago buying some "non-inductive resistors for

a dummy load. The only place they were non-inductive was at 60 Hz. The
carborundums are not in the category. IIRC, the PEP output would be 4 times
the carrier with 100% modulation, hence, a kW out of carrier(which is too
much for amateur purposes) would be 4 kW out. This is why the 375 watt level

gives 1500 watts PEP(thanks to the 1990 power reduction[sarcasm inserted].
                                                 Joe W4AAB