[AMRadio] Oil filled capacitors

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon May 19 13:26:20 EDT 2008

Maybe I've just been lucky, but in the 49 years I have been in amateur
radio, I have seen no more than 2 or 3 failed oil capacitors.  They were
either open or had a dead short.  I have used caps with oil residue around
the terminals with never a mishap. I have never had one to blow up.

I have heard of oil-filled pole pigs catching on fire and burning while
mounted on utility poles.

The only kind of capacitors I have had to blow up have been electrolytics.
I have had a few to explode like firecrackers, and fill the area with stuff
that looks like cotton wads, and stinks to high heaven.

Many "oil filled" caps are really paper caps, with the paper impregnated in
oil.

I probably have enough PCB oil in my shack, inside capacitors and
transformers, to fill the gas tank on a SUV.

I always carefully wash my hands after handling oil capacitors, but other
than that, just treat them like any other radio component.

Don k4kyv