[AMRadio] Oil filled capacitors

Rick Brashear rickb at tx.rr.com
Mon May 19 13:42:55 EDT 2008

Thanks, Don for the information.  I have never personally experienced an
explosion with an oil filled capacitor and I have never run across a bad
one.  I have heard both sides of discussion and it's about even.  I am
inclined to think if I seal the tiny leak to prevent the oil from messing up
the cabinet I'll be okay.  I'll put them in a wooden box and apply a heavy
load just to be sure.  I agree with you on the PCB stuff.  I have a shack
full of it.  I try to keep it off my hands and wash thoroughly after coming
in contact with it, but I don't let it ruin my day.

Thanks again to all for your excellent input and fine discussion on this
matter.  What a great list!

73,
Rick/K5IAR

Maybe I've just been lucky, but in the 49 years I have been in amateur
radio, I have seen no more than 2 or 3 failed oil capacitors.  They were
either open or had a dead short.  I have used caps with oil residue around
the terminals with never a mishap. I have never had one to blow up....

Don k4kyv