[AMRadio] Oil filled capacitors

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Mon May 19 15:23:11 EDT 2008

I've never had an oil filled capacitor go bad, leak, or blow.

Like Don, I've had electrolytics BLOW.  Those I traced back to STUPIDITY
   in having mistakenly placed them in the circuit in REVERSE polarity.
  That has happened TWICE.  Comes from working too long on a project
without ENOUGH sleep.  I'll never repeat that again.

During my military service, I had a "few" instances of taking large
transformers covers off to change voltage taps.

Lo and behold, I've now donated tissues to the "Agent Orange" database.
  These transformers were full of Askerel ([sic] I probably misspelled
it!).  It was an oil for indoor use that was supposed to be less of a
fire hazard - LACED with PCBs.

So far so good, no issues, although I was in the oil up to my armpits.

Bob - N0DGN