[AMRadio] Oil filled capacitors

Rick Brashear rickb at tx.rr.com
Mon May 19 16:32:45 EDT 2008

Thanks, Gary.  There is nothing better than an actual test to make sure of
the properties of a substance.  Since it showed a short at 500 volts I don't
think it would like the 2500 volts that will be applied to the capacitor.
Maybe I better go with the silicon just to be safe.

73,
Rick/K5IAR

Well, I could not resist. I have a tube of JB Weld in the shop and for
giggles put some on a piece of Nomex paper. I then dug out the hipot tester
and started to apply a dc voltage to each side of the glob of JB Weld. At
300 volts it started to show a high resistance leakage and at 500 volts went

to a solid short. I would not use it for the application intended on this
thread.
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M