[AMRadio] Fuse advice

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Wed May 28 12:37:55 EDT 2008

Ken,

I have to speak up AND out *AGAINST* this methodology!

A 4" piece of wire that parts somewhere in its length MAY very well
DEVELOP an arc to some point of ground!

I saw just this happen when a fuse failed on a piece of equipment.  My
supervisor, being an EE, decided to replace the fuse element with
"supposedly" an appropriate gauge wire in the fuse body.

A WHOLE lot of damaged was done to the equipment, and people were
needlessly put in danger.

Rick,

The value, coupled with the physical size of this fuse, tells me it HAS
to be available.  The reason being is that it is one that would
"normally" be used in power generation for instrumentation either in a
PT, (Potential Transformer for voltmeter), or CT, (current transformer
for ammeter).

HV fuses - 2.5 KV and up - that are encapsulated in an insulated closed
housing "usually" have a compound similar to sand.  This is used to
quench the arc that develops when the fuse "link" opens.

Bob - N0DGN