[AMRadio] FW: [Fwd: On-Line Equipment Catalogue Now Available]

Robert Lawson w4rl at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 21 17:28:17 EST 2008

Excellent posting.  Have bookmarked it.   As an example, I certainly was
focused on the details of the Listening Sonobuoy #0390.  Fascinating
reading for a non-engineer type.  What does it have to do with BA's,
about near the same as the Pope with Catholicism I would imagine. You
know some late teen young air-dale or tin can Sailor way back had to
digest some of those manual's details like the back of his hand.  To
have when the balloon went up.  I've listened to old timers who in the
50's / early 60's who during the cat and mouse North Atlantic games
between Navies huddled amid ship in a P-2 or P-3 patrol aircraft in the
dead of winter at night with low overcast bumping along at 500 feet
altitude having to shove those ear bullets out the tube into the seas
and then start their listening routine....without the conveniences of a
oak paneled gentleman's smoking room complete with open hearth fire and
one's select Kentucky bourbon and seven course mean coming soon.  Took
true grit.  I guess ya just had to be there to really know.

73 Robert W4RL