[AMRadio] 40 meters

VJB wa3vjb at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 18:51:18 EST 2008

When the FCC expanded the 80/75 and 40 meter phone segments, we organized a "bandwarming party" that brought out dozens of stations to help commemorate new areas to operate AM.

I wonder if we should try something like that again with the upcoming departure of international SW stations from the portions of 40 meters we've been sharing with them.

It doesn't take much: A few articles in print publications, some reworking to post the same thing on popular internet sites, and some on-air promotion to drum up support and notice.

Hit this link for an example of a 'net posting:
eham.net/articles/15428

And these postings to a boatanchors reflector Dec 15 2006 marking the good time:

> It was effective last night at the crack of midnight (EST). > The frequencies from 3600 to 3750 sounded as if a contest > were in process. >  > 73 de Mike W9OJ > > The bandwarming party certainly did take place, starting right about > 0501Z with phone activity throughout 3600 - 3750. The most interesting > thing to me was the large number of AM signals and the large number AM > QSO's on different frequencies throughout the newly opened segment. >

All it would really take to debut some additional 40m activity is a numerically critical mass of people to organize and get on. Someone want to take the lead ?

--Paul/VJB