[AMRadio] Why Only 75M

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sat Nov 22 19:13:20 EST 2008

Commonality is your answer.  I know W1PE very well and when I turn on my radio to 7.290 I expect to hear him.  However, the past couple of years that is not the case.  So anyone who frequented 7290 has moved to 80 meters for shorter range communications.  We expect to hear people near us.  Even the 7290 no-traffic net has problems.

There is a guy in Rio Ranchos, NM that was a fixture on 7290 four years ago that I can't hear now.  But I do hear 9s and 8s and 7s talking to him.  This is not to say if I hear Brett or Bob, I would avoid talking to them, but the band doesn't stay stable long enough to have a very good conversation.

Long Live 160 meters.

Jim/W5JO