[AMRadio] 40 meters

Brett Gazdzinski Brett.Gazdzinski at verizon.net
Sat Nov 22 22:29:33 EST 2008

I sure wish I had saved my old log book.
I remember 40 meter round tables getting to be 7 or 8 people at once, with
people coming and going all day, and there being 3 different qso's on 3
different frequencies at the same time, till the broadcast came in.
The page in the log book would have long lists of calls that came and went
over time, many people were regulars every weekend.

I know there must be hundreds of calls I dont hear anymore, where did they
go?
I have my old card file, with hundreds of people I have not heard for many
years.

Did they all just chuck the ham hobby?

Some interesting stuff in the card file, like KF9KU, Gill, in Millwalkee
Wisconson running a ranger, or Jeff,W4OMX in Virginia who used to run
Gonset G76, K4HOL, Ralph, North Carolina, with a globe king, why dont i ever
hear Globe kings anymore?
What happened to Herb, K2JVM in pen yan?
Bruce, WA3JVJ used to be on with his 'wall of sound' but took his antenna
down to put siding on his house and never got on again, the wall of sound
has been silent for about 15 years...

What happened to Bill, W3DUQ?

I hear Bill, W8VYZ on 40 meters often, he sounds like he is about 120 years
old, and has always sounded that way for the last 30 years!

The way things are going, I am surprised there is much of a market for old
AM gear, and dont hear many people running the old stuff.

Brett
N2DTS