[AMRadio] 40 Meter AM Ops from the Past

Joe Crawford crawfish at surfmore.net
Sun Nov 23 10:09:58 EST 2008

It was a sad day when the Kingfish died in July 1971. I was SWL'ing in those
days.7295 was the holdout against the ssb crowd. Sally was in Waynesville,
N.C. Sid was in East Point, GA and I can't remember the town in SC where Jim
W4DXW was in.I heard Sid mobile several times running a Gonset G-76. Boyd
W4ZWE's AM station got wiped out by a tornado in the spring of 1974.It was
in a building behind his house in Toney, AL. Boyd is now retired to a ranch
in the panhandle of TX.Don K4KYV was on some in the mornings.After I got my
General in 1973, I worked a guy in High Point, N.C. who was running an ARC-5
to a vertical at a retirement home. I will have to see if I can find his
call in my logs.I was using a Globe Scout 65A back then.
                                                          Joe W4AAB