[AMRadio] Low Power AM?

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 23 17:20:32 EST 2008

Mike,

You're not alone in using a ricebox for AM.  A fair amount of us do.  I save
my Viking II for 160 & 75m.  On 40 & above, I use a 30 year old Yaesu
FT-301SD, which does about 30W of carrier (I run it at 25, to keep the
finals happy).  I usually have pretty decent results with the '301 on high
band AM.  My only complaint about high band AM, is that with the exception
of 10m during the Sporadic E season, I don't hear much AM on the other
bands,  I've called occasionally on 20m, and at times till I was blue in the
face on 40m, with no luck.  The only AMer I ever hear in any amount on 40m,
is Ashtabula Bill, W8VYZ.

73,
Ellen - AF9J