[AMRadio] 75 Meter Ops

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Mon Nov 24 03:18:45 EST 2008

> Yes, I remember Paul, Wa5FHP very well.
>

> I remember one new years eve when he got really pickled. He was pretty
> much
> gone by 7:00 PM. Someone in southeast Texas came into his qso running a
> Drake line with a linear in the AM mode. Paul then spent at least 20
> minutes
> giving that guy a thorough tongue lashing for not running "a real AM
> transmitter."
>
> I'm not sure what he was doing to his own rig that night, but the later
> the
> hour, and the more drunk he became, the longer he would ramble, and the
> wider his signal became. Seriously, I have never heard an AM signal that
> wide before or since, not even during my CB days.
>
> One of the people that Paul talked with almost every night was Gene,
> WA5ATH,
> (SK) in Houston, who had almost as good a signal as K5SWK.
>

> Mike Duke, K5XU

Another famous 75m AM character was Conrad Bridges, W4EBG, Paducah, Ky.  For
a while, Paul and Con had a running feud over  the Central Gulf Coast
Hurricane Net.  Con would make it a point to come on the net frequency a few
minutes before the net was to start up, and harass Paul and the other net
members, and then Paul and Con would get into a knock-down-dragout verbal
argument and end up cussing at each other.  I think they both were having
fun and had to bite their lips to keep from laughing out loud during one of
their tirades.

Don k4kyv