[AMRadio] Why Only 75M

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 10:13:16 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Bob Macklin <macklinbob at msn.com> wrote:

> It's my feeling that the low powered AM rigs will do better on 40M than on
> 75. At least for CW they do so why not expect similar results for AM.

You can also enjoy low power AM on 75m and more on 80m daytime and
into the early evening hours before things get wound up or the band
goes long. Years ago I ran a 32V-2 in the old 75m AM window/Ghetto
area regularly, but was told by friends that I was pissweak at night
and they had trouble pulling me out, mainly due to the number of
signals crowded in and the usual BS antics found there. When the
higher bands are dead, everyone moves down to 40 and 80, which means
the idiot factor is more noticeable on all modes. The expanded 80m
portion is better at night by far, but you need to be Advanced or
Extra to take advantage of it. Shouldn't be an issue with today's 2
boxtop licenses. (o:

40m has activity regularly, especially weekends. I routinely work Russ
WB3FAU, Bill KA8WTK and others there. Even hear Brett from time to
time. The mistake many still seem to make it willfully restricting
themselves to 1-2 specific frequencies which are either already in use
or being interfered with. I've worked AM down on 7150 without issue as
well as other frequencies. The trick is to first learn how to move
that big tuning knob, then remembering how to call CQ. Too many people
still listen and wait for someone else to start the fun so that they
can join in, resulting in much monitoring and little operating.

I recently completed (for now, at least) the move from VT to NC and
have yet to get any wires back up in the air. 40 will likely be first
due to the ease of installation. In the meantime, I've been listening
and hearing plenty of activity from the mid-atlantic, northeast,
midwest, and 5-Land. Looking forward to joining back in soon.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4