[AMRadio] Licence Classes (was I'll vote for 7190)

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Tue Nov 25 10:39:47 EST 2008

I feel the same way. My current call, K5MYJ, is the first call I was issued
in 1957. When I got back into ham radio several years ago and found out
about the Vanity callsigns I applied for this one. My fist still sends put
CQs with this callsign like a machine.

In the 50's and it looks like as late as 1970 the FCC did not have the ham
records on a computer. When they did computerize they did not move the paper
records to the computer. They moved the paper records to a warehouse and it
takes up to 3 months to find an old license. Instead they just look in old
callbooks!

It looks to me that the old call signs were never reissued. It is easier for
them to just use the next available callsign.

Bob
K5MYJ