[AMRadio] Favorite freqs and dumbing down

charles L. mjcal77 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 11:49:45 EST 2008

Well, I also sort of regret dropping the 'B' in my call I got in 1969 to shoot for a plain W4.  Mainly because they keep jacking the vanity fee around.  Shoot, even if I went back to that 'B', it would still be a vanity call.  But...just like California has only 2 seasons, wild fires or mud slides, this discussion about how it was done in the 'old days' has and will always go on in hamdom, just like it goes on in every specialty hobby or occupation.  I'm sure the the CNC machine operator has to take it on the chin from the machinist who new how to turn a complex shape manually and had all the formulas and numbers in his head.

I think the sheer numbers of hams on phone and the reduced requirements have all contributed to the lack of civility we hear and in the numbers too.  I remember the first time I got on 20 meters, with AM from a DX60, a newly minted General Class, in 1969, and actually worked someone.  His main concern was to tell me my carrier wasn't nulled out completely, I might want to adjust it.  After I told him what the TX was and I was running AM, he said I was a brave soul to be on 20.

When it comes to QRM, as has been the custom all along, you just ignore the abuse and it will eventually give up and move up or down the band.  You just have to be patient and calm, they are always spoiling for a fight it seems.  I don't know what you do about the ham who uses the 10 code or other citizen band lingo, other than to ask for a repeat in plain English.  But even the ham ads call their fixed station equipment 'base station', and occasionally use other descriptors right from the 11 meter group.

Charlie W4MEC in NC