[AMRadio] NW AM People?

Craig C. Heaton wd8kdg at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 25 18:37:19 EST 2008

Bob,

I hope something works out on 40 meters. Several moons ago, the late 70's &
early 80's, 40 meters was the band of choice for low powered rigs on the
east coast. At that time I was living in West By God Virginia and running a
DX100B for the TX and a NC300 for a set of ears. The antenna was a W8JK, two
40 meter colinears fed 180 degrees out of phase with open wire, quarter wave
spacing between the colinears. Great antenna, could load it up on 160, 80,
40, 20, & 10 meters with a home brew tuna.

Those were better days. I'm on a postage stamp lot now and don't have enough
depth for a dipole on 80 meters. So, it's a full wave loop on 80, fits in
the back yard! For 40 meters I have a dipole that runs diagonally inside the
80 meter loop. There is some interactance between the two, but how cares, I
make a few contacts.

So here's hoping the 40 thing works out. You might listen for AB7YD out of
Seattle, he runs a DX60 most of the time around 1PM our time. When I hear
him, it's somewhere around 7190-7191. There is a SSB group on 7.288 and hate
AM. No one is transmitting on 7.288 but always interfere with a QSO on
7.290. Just another dead air SSB thing.

Craig,