[AMRadio] Re: ceramic tube tester

Brett Gazdzinski Brett.Gazdzinski at verizon.net
Fri Oct 10 19:02:44 EDT 2008

Re: ceramic tube testerNo, I don't think you can test for flash over other than using the tubes.

I have a LOT of old hamfest specials, and pick 2 matching resting current tubes in the modulator, and they work ok for a few weekends, then flash.
I pick some more matched tubes, same thing.
I found 4 NEW 4x150a tubes at an old TV repair parts store (long gone now) and have been using the 1st set for about 6 years now without problems.
The 4x150a tubes seem to work exactly the same as the 4cx250b tubes, they look the same, work the same.

If you look in old handbooks, they list the 4x150a as a 150 watt tube, but its also in the 250 watt tube with the 7034, a later revision of the 4x150a?

Anyway, if the tube looks exactly like the 4x250b, it has to have the same plate dissipation, both are forced air cooled, have the same fins, shape, size, etc.

The older early 4x150 tubes looked different from the 4cx250b type tubes.

Mine came in sealed green cans marked 4x150a/FAA, cost me $25.00 each.

Brett
N2DTS