[AMRadio] ceramic tubes

John Coleman jc at pctechref.com
Sat Oct 11 18:53:54 EDT 2008

Hi Brett:

            Yep, in spite of the fact that you see these type of tubes
mostly in HF to UHF service they work very nicely as modulators.  I was
given 4 of the 4CX300s a long time ago and a buddy of mine and I split them
up and each built modulators using a pair, with 2500 volts on the plates in
class AB1 service.  They worked very well into low impedance loads far below
10K ohms.  In fact if the plate load Z is too high they will draw too much
screen current so it is important to monitor the screen current on these
tubes.  I began to think that there plate current swing had no saturation
point that I could reach.

            These 4CX300 tubes had very strange sockets.  The connections
were in little rings with tabs up and down the ceramic post.  I wrapped
small wire back and forth around each ring and twisted it tight then
soldered all of the wires into a broken octal tube base.  I first tested the
tubes as modulators by turning each upside down into a coffee cup of water.
So that the water just covered the plates.  Then I turned it all on and
biased the tubes to the proper plate current.  I let them idle for about 5
minutes then powered down and felt of the water.  It was not even up to body
temperature.  So I powered back on and began to modulate.  Boy was I
surprised at the level of current swing for the amount of drive.  But when I
said a big FOUR into the microphone the water foamed and boiled immediately.
My hand was poised over the plate switch so there was no damage.  I went to
work figuring out a mounting scheme and air system and used those tubes for
quite some time.  But I really don't know now what ever happened to that
modulator.  I think it may have been trashed by my 2nd ex-XLY.  I'll blame
her for it anyway HIHI.

John

WA5BXO