[AMRadio] Re: GB> 160m AM receiver project

Robert Nickels ranickel at comcast.net
Mon Oct 27 22:33:18 EST 2008

sbjohnston at aol.com wrote:

> My 160m AM receiver project is done.  It was based on parts from a
> Zenith 5-tube broadcast radio
Steve, I'll chime in with my congrats on a very cool project.   This is
what my buddy Fred calls a great "hooble".  We don't really know the
origin of the term, but it's used to denote a "something" made out of
"nothing", using parts on hand or as the home decorating babes like to
say, "re-purposed".

The fellow who really got me started in ham radio was very proud of his
homebrew six meter AM transceiver which was built on aluminum panels
from his kid's old Erector Set and parts scrounged from old TVs.   He
did purchase one of the Japanese vernier dials for it, which at $1.98
was the only cash outlay.  You're reliving the same true ham spirit!
Maybe this winter we'll see if my 160 meter dipole can make the path up
to Madison.

73, Bob W9RAN