[AMRadio] RE: 160m AA5 receiver to AM Xmtr project

LEE BAHR pulsarxp at embarqmail.com
Thu Oct 30 12:01:32 EST 2008

When I was in the 6th grade, I used to take my mother's AA5 radio part
constantly and then put it together again.  (It used octal tubes).  I read
in an article about a "new" ferrite magnetic antenna".  I ordered one from
Burstein-Applebee in Kansas City.  It was a small coil with an adjustable
slug for resonance.  I hooked it up to my AA5 radio and it worked great.
better then the loop on the broadcast band.  Then I discovered if I pulled
the slug out of the coil, the coil was now tuned to the 75 meter ham band.
Apparently the second harmonic of the AA5 oscillator was now mixing with the
75 meter phone signals and producing a 455 khz signal.  It worked great!  75
meter AM stations came in loud and clear.  When I wanted to give the radio
back to my mother, I simply peaked the antenna "loopstick" antenna back on
the broadcast band.

Lee
w0vt