[AMRadio] infinite impedance detector vs diode

Brett Gazdzinski Brett.Gazdzinski at verizon.net
Thu Sep 4 22:32:14 EDT 2008

I use a circuit I found on the web someplace.
The info says:
Low distortion am detector.
A low-distortion am detector has been developed by W.T.Selsted and B.H.
Smith.
This consists of a conventional diode rectifier direct coupled to a cathode
follower, which is in turn connected to an r-f filter.

The excellent performance of this circuit is due to two facts:

1 That the load on the diode for normal am carrier frequencies is
essentially resistive and the normal effects of excessive shunting
capacitance are eliminated.

2 That, since the coupling to the cathode follower is direct, there is no
effect of/on? biasing currents which are normally developed in a diode

The distortion for 100% modulation is .3% at a modulating frequency 420 cps
and .8% at 4000 cps.

The circuit looks like this, the top of the IF transformer goes to a
diode(plate) with a 250k resistor to ground from the cathode, the other side
of the IF trans goes to ground. The cathode of the diode also goes to the
grid of a triode, the plate goes to B+, the cathode of the triode has a 15k
resistor to ground, with a 150pf cap across it, .1 uf coupling cap, 500K ohm
to ground is the audio output.

My hearing is not good, and I never was a good judge of low levels of
distortion, but it sounds clean and nice to me.

I wonder if this circuit has a name, and suppose, since it uses tubes, its
old???

Brett
N2DTS