[AMRadio] Re: "down below"

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 15:26:52 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:18 PM, VJB <wa3vjb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Point of history -- the voluntary groupings on HF by AM Community has led the ARRL toward published "calling frequencies," not the other way around. So if we want a new 40m place we have to establish it ourselves over a prolonged period of time.

Al, Tim, Ed and the guys have been using 3725 north of the border for
years. I've caught Donovan on 3720 and elsewhere too. They've used AM
on that end of the band for years.

The whole idea of being known for 'a' frequency strikes me as a good
way to get boxed in again. Even worse for us to do it to ourselves.
I'd much prefer to see references to SSB removed and either 'voice' or
'phone' used instead. Voluntarily segregating ourselves to tiny
slivers of the bands doesn't strike me as a good idea. It's easy
enough to know if it's an AM contact when you spin the dial around.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ