[AMRadio] 7160 tonight: Suggestion

D. Chester k4kyv at charter.net
Thu Apr 2 13:45:49 EDT 2009

One suggestion.  We need to be more careful about zero beating each other on
the 40m frequency.  At times in the QSO, stations are so scattered out over
a 1-2 kHz  range, that my sync detector won't stay locked when one station
turns it over to another.  But the real problem is that this frequency
scattering is bound to be generating unnecessary hostility from the SSB
DX'ers, and will likely to result in deliberate QRM and other hostile
actions against the AM'ers. I have already heard the griping, and I'm afraid
it's just starting.  Last night someone tried to fire his  ricebox up on AM,
and kept saying (with extreme distortion), "Why are you on AM down here?  Go
back to 7290".

Remember, we don't own 7160 kHz any more than slopbucketeers own any of
"their" frequencies.

Because of the limited spread of this "new" phone band, we need to operate
more  like precision sharpshooters, than users of a sawed-off shotgun in the
early evening.  With the new situation on 40m, maybe it's time to seriously
consider a petition to the FCC to further expand the phone band, down to
7100 or 7075.  Much of the foreign DX is below 7125, and US amateurs are
about the only ones in the world who are not allowed to operate phone down
there (not sure about VK's and ZL's).  I hear 7075-7125 filled with a LOT
more foreign SSB than CW.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/