[AMRadio] 7160 tonight: Suggestion

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Thu Apr 2 19:15:33 EDT 2009

These are the arguments I remember from the mid 50s about why we
needed to restrict bandwidth of  our transmitted signals.  Also the
fact that there were so many more hams that were on the air.
Collins lead the way with the 75A1A which, with modifications would
have, what, 2.4 Kc bandwidth?  Other manufacturers followed suit.
Most receivers and transceivers have 2.4-2.7 Kc bandwidth at the
most.  So the outcome was the ARRL supported SSB to double the
number of stations that could transmit at the same time.  Today
people are decrying the fact that there are fewer hams than in past
years.  That should give us more space.

Today we modify our rigs to utilize from 100 or so cycles out to
8-10 Kc so we sound better.  Even the SSB crowd is doing it out to
about 5 or 6 Kc.  I'm sorry my WRL VFO is not stable enough to stay
on one frequency for an extended period.  It does wander at least
100-500 cycles between transmit and receive.

So if someone using a modern transceiver wants to move about 1.5 Kc
near me, they better have an auto notch function or be prepared to
change the notch knob as my VFO wanders.  Last I read part 97 there
are no standards for frequency stability on the ham bands.

I do try to be considerate, I just wish the SSB crowd, especially
the contest and DX bunch would try.

Jim/W5JO
.