[AMRadio] Is the novelty of the "new" 40m band wearing off already?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 22:36:31 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:31 PM, D. Chester <k4kyv at charter.net> wrote:
> I wonder...
>
> The past few days I have heard little, if any, AM on 7160.

Well, that's only one frequency, Don. As with certain frequencies in
the then-new 80m phone portion, advertising it as the AM hangout has
drawn some problem children and from what I can tell, a concerted
effort by a few to keep AMers off 7160, No problem, I've had good luck
on 52, 55, 58. and 65.

Though last night I did work a few stations on 7160 for a while,
including KA1ZGC among others. Saturday I worked Jeff K2EWM for over
an hour in the morning, then Joe WA2PJP, Carl WA1KPD, and George AB2KC
also on 60.

I don't doubt that the 'shine' wears off quickly for some with short
attention spans, no differently than it did when 80 opened up. But a
few of us persisted then, and will now. Part of the problem remains
the 'was listening' attitude vs calling CQ. So far, every time I've
called CQ below 7200, someone has answered. Listening on one frequency
vs spreading out and calling CQ no doubt contributes to less activity.

Maybe it's the time of day you're listening Don? I did hear you in
there once last week when I was working in the other end of the
garage, but that's it. And as Bob pointed out, the static from storms
over the previous few days hasn't been much help.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4