[AMRadio] Is the novelty of the "new" 40mbandwearing offalready?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:51:39 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Jim Wilhite <w5jo at brightok.net> wrote:
> Probably the best way to attack this situation is, all of us who
> can, use all frequencies available.  I am a extra so when I go into
> the shack to check for activity, I tune to 7.280-95 then down to
> 7.160 to see who is on the air.  I don't make a decision about who
> to talk with by frequency.

Very good points, Jim. And that's more of how people should approach
it: use what's open, not some particular frequency so-and-so said was
'the' AM frequency. I suspect that's half the problem with lack of
activity down low now, a lot of folks showed up early on and there was
plenty to listen to. Now it's thinned a bit and everyone is listening
for activity on one frequency, no one is transmitting. It's really
pretty simple, think outside the box, or given frequency in this case.

As far as leaving out however many Generals, no one is leaving them
out but themselves, by choice. I'm not an Extra because other things
have been more important to me than upgrading. No one to blame but
myself, though I don't criticize the Extras for not coming to play
with me in my parts of the bands. I make use of what I have.
Eventually when I get caught up on things and the guys having all that
fun below 3700 get to me enough, I'll upgrade. In today's world, we
seem to forget we really do have control over our own destinies. Maybe
it goes with the new way of thinking it's someone else's fault, dunno.
If we followed that logic though, we'd all be on 2 & 10m talking with
the remaining Techs who haven't upgraded, or somewhere trying to work
the few remaining Novices.

I understand what you're saying Bob, ad yes - we've been discussing
the lower part of 40m because it only recently became usable to us
even though the band expansion took place the same time as for 80.
Some of us have actually operated down there off and on since then,
it's just nice to finally have the BC noise gone. Those of us with
access heard the same wails for operating down below 3750 instead of
engaging in the nightly hand-to-hand combat in the AM window/ghetto
area. Yet the 'old' 75m area in the General Class portion is alive and
well. Apparently 7290 is to, when you can find someone there other
than SSB traffic.

Given a choice of relatively clear conditions or regular jamming and
other nonsense, the choice seems easy and the incentive for upgrading,
that much stronger. It's never been easier than it is now, so the only
ones denying us access to the use of all US amateur frequencies are
the ones looking back at us in the mirror.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4