[AMRadio] Is the novelty of the "new" 40mbandwearing offalready?

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Thu Apr 23 12:18:18 EDT 2009

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
> As far as leaving out however many Generals, no one is leaving them
> out but themselves, by choice. I'm not an Extra because other things
> have been more important to me than upgrading. No one to blame but
> myself, though I don't criticize the Extras for not coming to play
> with me in my parts of the bands. I make use of what I have.

It is awfully hard to stop everything else to sit down and simply
"study" or "memorize" the Extra Exam.

I take offense to the "look in the mirror" viewpoint.  The FCC/VEC
changed the pool as of last June.  So whatever was to use for studying
changed over night.  Sorry - family medical issues got in the way.  I
guess I should have told my daughter to fore go the back surgery the
doctor said NOW about.

Oh how I wish for the "old" system that got me to General by going to
the FCC Office!  It was fair, made sense, and worked well.

Around here, either you have ONE shot ONCE a year at the Hamfest, OR -
(Have you tried to get into a Federal installation lately?), we
"supposedly" can go once a month "by appointment" to the FBI Training
Center.  Yeah, right.  I'm retired military - getting in to THAT part of
Quantico is "as simple as getting in to Fort Knox".

I will repeat - I *DO* get on 40 during the day, some nights, in the
General section of the band!  Even the BC-610 RARELY gets me a
response.  As an add-on, I'm also into Astronomy.  I can tell you that I
have NOT seen a SINGLE sunspot in over two years.

We are definitely in the trough!

Bob - N0DGN

> Eventually when I get caught up on things and the guys having all that
> fun below 3700 get to me enough, I'll upgrade. In today's world, we
> seem to forget we really do have control over our own destinies. Maybe
> it goes with the new way of thinking it's someone else's fault, dunno.
> If we followed that logic though, we'd all be on 2 & 10m talking with
> the remaining Techs who haven't upgraded, or somewhere trying to work
> the few remaining Novices.
>
> I understand what you're saying Bob, ad yes - we've been discussing
> the lower part of 40m because it only recently became usable to us
> even though the band expansion took place the same time as for 80.
> Some of us have actually operated down there off and on since then,
> it's just nice to finally have the BC noise gone. Those of us with
> access heard the same wails for operating down below 3750 instead of
> engaging in the nightly hand-to-hand combat in the AM window/ghetto
> area. Yet the 'old' 75m area in the General Class portion is alive and
> well. Apparently 7290 is to, when you can find someone there other
> than SSB traffic.
>
> Given a choice of relatively clear conditions or regular jamming and
> other nonsense, the choice seems easy and the incentive for upgrading,
> that much stronger. It's never been easier than it is now, so the only
> ones denying us access to the use of all US amateur frequencies are
> the ones looking back at us in the mirror.
>

> ~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4

Bob - NØDGN