[AMRadio] Is the novelty of the "new" 40mbandwearing offalready?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 12:56:36 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:18 PM, rbethman <rbethman at comcast.net> wrote:

> It is awfully hard to stop everything else to sit down and simply
> "study" or "memorize" the Extra Exam.

This is true Bob, but the basic principal is sound: when it becomes
important enough, it'll happen. Not before.

> I take offense to the "look in the mirror" viewpoint.  The FCC/VEC
> changed the pool as of last June.  So whatever was to use for studying
> changed over night.  Sorry - family medical issues got in the way.  I
> guess I should have told my daughter to fore go the back surgery the
> doctor said NOW about.

Wasn't my intention to offend anyone, Bob, but you illustrate my point
pretty well. We have a whole lot more to deal with day in and day out
than simply deciding which 40m frequency we should be on. I'm not an
Extra yet either, as marriage, moving, trying to sell the other house,
and many, many other issues took and continue to take precedence. It
was no different when trying to get my Novice, Tech, General, and
Advanced licenses - the 'issues' were just different. I pissed and
moaned about the 13 wpm code test and ended up taking it 3 or 4 times
before I finally passed it. The only reason I finally *did* pass it
was assigning a higher priority to it nd studying daily - not when I
felt like it, and not stopping when I thought it was good enough.

At the end of the day, it was up to me to do it. It wasn't up to the
rest of the amateur population to adjust their schedules and
frequencies to operate at my convenience, or to the limitations of my
license class. I don't think they were being rude, thought I was
beneath them, or anything else. If anything, I was a bit envious of
the more civilized spectrum they had earned.

The issue being discussed has more to do with folks just getting on
the air and operating than anything else. To think that everything
will be fine if the Extras and Advanced licensees would just operate
in the General portion makes about as much sense as saying we should
all use the same radio. In particular, the original issue - populating
the area between 7125 and 7200 with some AM signals - dictates
otherwise.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4