[AMRadio] Is the novelty of the "new" 40mbandwearing offalready?

rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Thu Apr 23 13:28:46 EDT 2009

Todd, KA1KAQ wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:18 PM, rbethman <rbethman at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> It is awfully hard to stop everything else to sit down and simply
>> "study" or "memorize" the Extra Exam.
>>

> This is true Bob, but the basic principal is sound: when it becomes
> important enough, it'll happen. Not before.

Conveniently leaving out what it takes to GET TO the Exam sessions!
> Wasn't my intention to offend anyone, Bob, but you illustrate my point
> pretty well. We have a whole lot more to deal with day in and day out
> than simply deciding which 40m frequency we should be on. I'm not an
> Extra yet either, as marriage, moving, trying to sell the other house,
> and many, many other issues took and continue to take precedence. It
> was no different when trying to get my Novice, Tech, General, and
> Advanced licenses - the 'issues' were just different. I pissed and
> moaned about the 13 wpm code test and ended up taking it 3 or 4 times
> before I finally passed it. The only reason I finally *did* pass it
> was assigning a higher priority to it nd studying daily - not when I
> felt like it, and not stopping when I thought it was good enough.

Took my General at the Atlanta Field office of the FCC.  It took ONE
trip.  That type of availability ISN'T there anymore!
> At the end of the day, it was up to me to do it. It wasn't up to the
> rest of the amateur population to adjust their schedules and
> frequencies to operate at my convenience, or to the limitations of my
> license class. I don't think they were being rude, thought I was
> beneath them, or anything else. If anything, I was a bit envious of
> the more civilized spectrum they had earned.

I'm not envious.  I'll get there WHEN I can.  I have NEVER asked for
those folks to come UP to where I can operate.
> The issue being discussed has more to do with folks just getting on
> the air and operating than anything else. To think that everything
> will be fine if the Extras and Advanced licensees would just operate
> in the General portion makes about as much sense as saying we should
> all use the same radio. In particular, the original issue - populating
> the area between 7125 and 7200 with some AM signals - dictates
> otherwise.

Once again, did NOT ask/expect those folks to come UP and find me!
Haven't asked OR insinuated the "same" radio be used.

It is simply THIS subject line is clearly directed to Extra Class
operators.  Once again, I'll get THERE when I *CAN*!

--
Bob - NØDGN