[AMRadio] Is the novelty of the "new" 40mbandwearing offalready?

Todd, KA1KAQ ka1kaq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 14:12:13 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM, rbethman <rbethman at comcast.net> wrote:

> Took my General at the Atlanta Field office of the FCC.  It took ONE
> trip.  That type of availability ISN'T there anymore!

Huh?? Just about every club, hamfest, car wash (kidding, Bob) has VE
examiners and sessions these days. And there's no longer a CW
requirement, the answers are all Multiple Guess....it has never been
easier. Last time I checked, it still only took one trip. Unless you
fail, but that's no different than before.

> Once again, did NOT ask/expect those folks to come UP and find me!
> Haven't asked OR insinuated the "same" radio be used.

Okay, you're taken a very general discussion and turned it personal,
like it was all discussed for you or about you, which was never the
case from where I'm sitting. I was addressing the mentality of the
original argument, not assigning it to you. A thread is kinda like a
discussion online, with others voicing their thoughts in others posts
and all that. Think of it as a roundtable of sorts, not a one-on-one.

> It is simply THIS subject line is clearly directed to Extra Class
> operators.

Not true. Advanced Class licensees can operate there as well. In fact,
it's a mere 50 kcs of spectrum that some have gotten all pissy about.
And the whining I've seen hasn't come from 'some silly extra' (no, you
didn't say that either Bob - it's in the context of the ENTIRE
thread).

I've never seen such nonsense over something so simple. I'm not an
Extra either, and I'm not whining about it or blaming them for it (not
saying you did either, Bob - context). Jim said it pretty well, in
essence - operate where you can, when you can, if you can. The FCC
really isn't excluding anyone from becoming an Extra, though
considering the state of the country right now - I can believe that
some would see it that way. It's the 'rich' people's fault that we're
in a recession, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that it's the
Extras fault that there's so little AM activity on the bands. After
all, that's what Don's original post was asking - where did everyone
go? And despite the subject line's use of the word 'new', myself and
others pointed out the lack of activity across the entire band.

Brilliant. And further proof why there's so little activity - too many
injured souls online.

So - who wants to give 40 a shot this afternoon instead of just
talking/complaining/crying about it?