[AMRadio] State of the Hobby!

Bob Macklin macklinbob at msn.com
Thu Apr 23 18:07:25 EDT 2009

Reading the comments about upgrading to EXTRA makes me think about ham radio has changed over the years.

I have a collection of ARRL Handbooks ranging from the mid 50's to the mid 90's and a 2003 edition.

If you look at the technical articles through the years you can see the DUMBING down.

Part of what seems to happened is that the change to solid state design and construction has made building complex HB projects too difficult or time consuming for the average hobbyist. Also the availability of some components is getting difficult or expensive.

Homebrewing with tube gears was and still is easier than working with solid state stuff. And I am a retired design EE.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Kent (Seattle), Wa,
"Real Radios Glow in the Dark"